Regulatory & Finance Manager
Location: Denver, CO, United States
Job ID: 32745
Date Posted: Jan 10, 2020
Salary: $91,200 to $150,450 annually
In this important role you will manage all aspects of the regulatory and financial process for assigned jurisdiction or function in order to achieve success for the customer and company. Manage the development of regulatory policies and initiatives that support business strategies, including the development and filing of rate case applications. Manage the preparation, presentation, and reporting of information for internal decision-making and filings with the appropriate Commissions and/or regulatory body. Serve as a key financial and regulatory business partner to state leadership and functional areas across BHC. Manage the development, analysis, and interpretation of financial forecasts, including budgets and strategic plans. Direct variance analyses against budget and prior years. Provide expert testimony in filings and regulatory reviews before Commissions.
SALARY RANGE: $91,200 - $150,450 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director, Regulatory & Finance
Denver, Colorado: You will love living in the Mile High City, where 300 days of sunshine, a thriving cultural scene, diverse neighborhoods and natural beauty combine for the world's most spectacular playground.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage the development of models for the evaluation of new business alternatives that incorporate analysis of the key variables.
- Develop and maintain financial plan (budget and strategic plan) which can be used as a basis for variance analysis against actuals.
- Develop and maintain logical and flexible financial models that produce a full set of financial statements utilizing existing tools and software in an efficient manner.
- Evaluate accuracy of forecast vs. actual results and refine process to the point that it serves as an instrument of financial control in the close process and guides and supports business decisions.
- Maintain a full understanding of regulatory outcomes and requirements.
- Manage and develop analysts’ ability to analyze the data and interpret the underlying business drivers of monthly operating results.
- Monitor, review and analyze federal and state regulatory requirements and industry issues for electric and gas operations and keep department leadership and operations apprised of findings.
- Partner with operations to strategize, prepare, and analyze strategic plan, budget, forecasts, and reports.
- Produce financial and operational metrics based on key business drivers that provide necessary insight to assist management’s business decision making.
- Provide information and support disclosure requirements in SEC and Regulatory filings as requested.
- Research and communicate the interpretation of legislation, rates, rules, and the terms and conditions of service as appropriate.
- Support customer service with the implementation of tariff changes and/or new tariffs including test protocol and verifying changes.
- Testify before regulatory commissions as an expert in support of filings.
- Analyze and interpret company financial forecasts and results.
- Assist in identifying and evaluating the profitability and strategic compatibility of new services and special programs.
- Continually monitor adjustment tariffs, associated balancing accounts and prepare summary reports as necessary.
- Drive continuous improvement of financial analysis, reporting, forecasting, budgeting and planning.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations related to assigned operations.
- Support the development of regulatory policies and initiatives that support business strategies, including the development and filing of rate case applications.
- Supervise regulatory filings to ensure accurate and timely completion.
- Work with operations to develop initiatives that increase revenue opportunity or decrease expense.
- Analyze, research and seek input regarding impacts of proposed legislation and regulations that impact the business units.
- Perform due diligence procedures primarily related to accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Strategically partner with operations and corporate organizations on budget completion and strategies.
- Manage financial forecasting processes and monthly analyses of financial results.
- Review financial reporting on the Company’s financial press releases, SEC filings, fuel cost recovery filings, and annual regulatory reports.
- Implement policies, procedures and process improvements to ensure the Company is operating in compliance with regulations and that regulatory reporting requirements are met.
- Interpret the regulatory directives contained within PUC decisions and rulings; provide advice and guidance regarding compliance with regulatory laws, rules and requirements.
- Monitor and provide advice and guidance regarding legislative, rule-making and other regulatory related developments.
- Manage the creation and execution of all regulatory filings for the assigned jurisdiction(s).
- Manage state regulatory process by interpreting financial data and information including 5 year planning on rate case strategies.
- Establish and maintain effective internal controls.
- Support efforts to respond to customer service issues to the commissions.
- Exercise management authority concerning staffing, development, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations and terminations in accordance with company policies and laws.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as Engineering, Business, Accounting, Finance or Economics required.
- Five (5) or more years of finance, accounting, regulatory related or equivalent background required.
- Experience in the development of business analysis tools and creation of financial planning models preferred.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional certification (CPA, CMA, CFA) or advanced degree preferred.
- Advanced understanding of utility operations and a basic understanding of regulatory/ratemaking processes and their accuracy within forecasts.
- Knowledge of accounting and financial concepts including internal controls.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- In-depth knowledge of financial statements and how they drive the business.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Advanced understanding of the utility regulatory process and rate analysis for gas or electric utility service as well as the impact of regulatory outcomes to business success including the rate making model.
- Ability to develop and maintain project schedules.
- In-depth knowledge of return on investment calculations and cost of capital calculations
- Knowledge of basic negotiations, advocacy and conflict management.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, and the ability to perform complex analysis.
- Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Exemplary interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to prepare and give presentations to external stakeholders as well as provide expert witness testimony at a hearing.
- Ability to partner with accounting to drive effective decisions through use of GAAP, FERC and other accounting research.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- Excellent ability to perform budget/forecasting techniques.
- Ability to present information to external stakeholders and provide expert witness testimony at a hearing.
- Ability to make decisions and operate independently with respect to complex issues and business requirements.
- Strong enterprise leadership skills, as this position requires the individual to delegate, monitor, and review assignments as well as coach staff to higher levels of performance.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective internal and external business relationships.
- Recommend and implement process and technology improvements.
- Ability to translate regulatory rules and regulations into operating impacts and actions as well as understanding tariffs within the industry.
- Ability to build consensus and successfully communicate with and influence regulatory agency and regulatory commission representatives.
- Ability to understand and exercise excellent judgment in complex interrelated business issues.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions. Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Must be capable of up to 10% travel (e.g. 2 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
EOE, Including disability/vets.